John Doe

by - October 13, 2016

We didn't know each other well,

although we went to the same school for nine years and were classmates for four of those years. We shared a really close friend and your best friend was in my elementary school class. Your girlfriend was in two of my main classes. Her voice always reminds me of a bird singing or a disney princess. She looks like one too.

We didn't know each other well,

in fact, I can't remember ever talking to you. We heard each other talking to our mutual friend. But we never talked to one another.

We didn't know each other well,

after you were gone I learned a lot more about you than I ever knew before. Most people only start listening when it's too late.
You knew my name and probably not much more. And why would it be different, because...

We didn't know each other well,

but you taught me a lot. Your story taught me a lot. To grieve someone you hardly know, for example. To appreciate life and my loved ones. To never take health for granted. To let my feelings show... no, actually you didn't teach me that. Never did I want my feelings to show, they overwhelmed me like a wave. And just like you cannot push a wave back into the ocean I could not suppress my feelings.
Your friends and family taught me some things too. How to talk to someone who had just lost their best friend. How to keep going after you've suffered.

We didn't know each other well,

let me tell you, it wasn't all in vain. You made your friends and family smile, helped them when they were feeling down, that's what they said at the ceremony, that you never gave up. It seems like they're coping as good as they can considering what they've been through. But I wouldn't know what's going on behind the smiles. I never ask and I'm not sure if I should.
Without you knowing about it your story has taught many people a lot of lessons. Me included. It wasn't all in vain...

Or maybe that's just a lie we tell ourselves to feel better about a life so short. They say the lights that burn shortest are the lights that burn brightest. Maybe that's true, but maybe that's not a good thing. Maybe that means that your time was so precious that you had to put much more energy in than others. Because others have more time to let their light shine. So they use it cannier. Maybe that's a good thing or maybe it is not. I wouldn't know. I'm lucky enough to say that the only other people I lost were my grandfathers, who lived long enough to let their lights shine canny.

We didn't know each other well,

and now we never will.

You May Also Like

0 comments