A Genius Left

by - March 12, 2015

A genius left our world today. Sir Terence David John Pratchett, OBE, passed away a few hours ago. At only 66 years, he has already been fighting Alzheimer for 8 years. Terry Pratchett was the author of the Discworld novels and some other great works with Neil Gaiman, Stephen Baxter and many many more. His books are funny, modern, slightly satirical and most of all: inspiring. The world he created catches you and never lets you leave. You get caught up in the streets of Ankh-Morpork and fall in love with Rincewind, Tiffany, the librarian, the wee free men and all the other lovely characters. But despite being an amazing author, Terry Pratchett also donated a lot of money to save his favourite animals, the orang-utans and to the Alzheimer Research Foundation as almost every family experiences this disease at one point or another. He got knighted by the queen and got many awards for his great work.


Terry Pratchett in his natural habitat: in a library wearing his black fedora
The first book I've read of him was 'Wintersmith'. My father got that for me and it's a children book series, that takes place in the Discworld. It still is my favourite book of his. After I've read it, I told all of my friends about him, made a few presentations on his life and bought a couple of his books to give away and share his awesomeness with the world. Recently I got a shit ton of Pratchett-books from my father and I'm attempting to read all of his books in chronological order. Funnily enough I'm currently reading 'Mort', which is about DEATH and his apprentice. In his last tweets Terry Pratchett even wrote: AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER. Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night. The End. (The capital letters are indicating, that DEATH is speaking.)

I hope you'll find your peace and beat DEATH at solitaire and the other card games. You are truly missed. We lost a genius once again.

xx

You May Also Like

0 comments